Friday 10 July 2015

Moving House


Moving is definitely not something I envisioned doing with a baby. When we bought our current house, we expected to stay in it for 5-10 years, but a few months ago my husband received a job opportunity we couldn't turn down. So over the summer holidays we will be leaving Kent and moving up to Oxfordshire!

I was a bit upset when I realised Little Miss would never even remember her first room. The room I spent months sat imagining her in. The first space that was ever hers. But moving does at least give me the opportunity to plan a whole new nursery. We are going to rent for a year before moving into our new house, where she will have a bedroom suited to a two year old.

I'm apprehensive that moving will play havoc with the sleep cycle we have only just settled into. A new room will probably mean more sleepless nights, but hopefully it won't take her too long to feel comfortable again.

Moving will mean more open spaces, better primary schools (or at least more chance of getting a space at one, once we're away from London) and hopefully a park in walking distance. Even though this move was prompted by my husband's job, we are doing it for Little Miss too. We think moving further away from London will be good in the long run.

The biggest hurdle will definitely be moving away from my parents though, as Little Miss is so close to them and has been spending three days a week with them while I'm at work, but she will now be at nursery full time. This is definitely the aspect of the move I am finding the most scary - there will be no more impromptu drives over to see them, or round-the-corner babysitters! But we couldn't make this change without their support and encouragement. And the occasions when we do see them will be even more special because they are less frequent.

Has anyone else done a big move with a young baby? If so, do you have any tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment